[nabs-l] handy cap parking

Jamie Principato blackbyrdfly at gmail.com
Fri May 15 00:18:02 UTC 2009

I can understand a parent getting a handicap parking sticker for their blind
toddler. It's a bit harder to tell a blind little one with little or no
mobility training where it is safe to stand while mom loads the groceries
into the car or unloads the beach blankets or what ever the case may be. My
parents had one for me because they liked having the extra space available
so I didn't accidently wander into another parking space as someone was
quickly pulling in. I can see why a parent would want that, but then on the
other side of the coin, the risk is no greater than it would be for a
sighted toddler who happens to be very good at not doing what they're told
and standing close to the car. As for older children or adults, I don't
really see any reason why one would be necessary save for very poor
mobility, but the answer to that is to seek training, not take a parking
space away from someone who possibly drives with hand breaks and has to load
themselves in and out of a wheel chair every time they go somewhere.