[nabs-l] High school outreach

clinton waterbury clinton.waterbury at gmail.com
Fri May 15 18:50:51 UTC 2009

Utah has the UNME program, or Utah Network for Mentoring Excellence,
but I'm not to sure how it would work nationally, seeing as how you
would have to arange for mentor and mentee to meet, but then again
because people in Utah are so far spread out from each other, you
don't always have to meet in person, and there are other ways besides
the phone, as that can get expensive rather quick.
On May 15, 2009, at 11:03 AM, Aziza C wrote:

> Well? If it hasn't worked with NABS, maybe Angela is right. We can
> start state by state, and designate people to keep in touch with other
> states in order to make sure out of state students can have an
> opportunity to meet a mentor.
> It is understood that a mentor isn't just for one night. And, honestly
> it isn't that hard to be mentored or mentor. I am seventeen, joined
> the NFB at fifteen, and the friends I have made are mostly older than
> me, but I see them as mentors as well as friends. Also, I received a
> call from one of these friends asking me to be a mentor for a sighted
> student about blindness. It isn't a very intricate system that needs
> to be set up. I think we need people willing to do it, a method of
> keeping in contact,  a way to publicize it, and a way to check up on
> progress.
> Aziza
>
> On 5/15/09, Antonio Guimaraes <aguimaraes at nbp.org> wrote:
>> Angela,
>>
>> NABS has tried the mentoring thing before, and maybe even still
>> does it for
>> convention attendees.
>>
>> It hasn't historically worked well to my knowledge, because I
>> think, we as
>> an organization don't define mentoring the way that it should be
>> defined,
>> and a program conducted.
>>
>> I will expand on what i mean on a later post, but mentoring is more
>> than
>> here is the mentor, and the mentee/student, you guys go do your
>> thing.
>>
>> there needs to be a defined set of goals and expectations for the
>> mentoring
>> relationship, and you don't mentor someone by sitting next to them
>> at a
>> meeting for one evening.
>>
>> Just my thoughts,
>>
>> Antonio M. Guimaraes Jr.