[nabs-l] High school outreach

Bill cassonw at gmail.com
Fri May 15 19:39:21 UTC 2009

I think the program doesn't even need to be as formal as a mentorship
relationship.  If students are willing to eat lunch with a prospective blind
student then show them around campus, this could provide much of what the
prospective student wants.  The lunch would serve as an oppertunity for the
prospective student to ask questions about DSS, the professors, how the
other students interact with them, and other questions.  At my school we
have a group called the admissions interest group(AIG) which is run by
student interns and the admissions office and hires students to meet with
prospective students as tour guides, lunch hosts, or overnight hosts.  I
think we could get involved with organizations like these then we would know
about incoming students who we might want to meet and they might be able to
compinsate us.  I agree that it should be known which campuses have students
on them who are willing to talk with prospectives.  It might even be nice to
create a database of students and their contact email so when students are
looking around they can have someone who has been there to ask blindness
specific questions that just can't be found on the school's website.  Just
my two cents.  Hope it wasn't too confusing.
Bill, VP
Oregon Association of Blind Students
cassonw at gmail.com