[nabs-l] Cuts in line

Christopher Kchao thisischris89 at gmail.com
Sun May 17 02:20:27 UTC 2009

There've been times when I've been running late for one reason or another
and have been extremely thankful for the worker at the bus terminal/train
station that brings me right to the front of the line so I can get on.
There've been times when I've accepted a seat offered to me on a crowded
subway where people are standing almost directly against one another.
I am especially thankful for the latter on those days when I'm tired or
carrying a lot of things, but only for that reason; not because I felt that
god or some invisible man in the sky told society that an eye condition
inhibited one's ability to stand and wait. In other words, I take it as a
kind gesture and never once have I gone out of my way to ask anyone for such
privilages.
The way i see it is this. We go on and on about fighting for inclusion and
equal treatment in the workforce/education. That said, I think it's a little
bit ignorant for us to then turn around and ask for some arbitrary privilege
we think we deserve. Entitlement complexes have never gone over well and
have only perpetuated negative sentiments about disabled people being
complacent. We can't possibly fight so hard to be treated like everyone else
and then turn around wanting to be given special treatment when it suits us.