[nabs-l] Ending the NFB/ACB feud

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Mon May 18 20:01:04 UTC 2009

Aziza,

One reason happened this morning on the ACB's Oregon list.

You saw the press release about the closing of the Oregon School for
the Blind, severe cuts to our local ESDs, and now closing the Oregon
Commission for the Blind.

In Oregon, we have been working with the ACB to save our school.
Today, the venom they are directing at us over the press release is
almost inconceivable.

There was an audit of our commission.  The audit found major
problems.  We were told by people in a position to know that the
Governor hit the roof when he saw the audit.  The audit was covered
in the local media, including an example of a $61,000 bike trip for
two clients, seventeen employees, and volunteers.  The very next day,
our governor announces that he's closing the commission.

According to the ACB, closing the commission is not about the audit.
They're attacking us for saying it is.  And if it is about the audit,
they blame the NFB for the audit.  Rather than trying to work to save
our commission, they are vilifying us.

Now maybe I'm cynical, but that's just typical of them.  They'd
rather attack us for suggesting that someone at the agency screwed up
than attack the governor for using this as a pretext to eliminate the
agency.  We didn't even suggest someone at the agency screwed up,
either--the state concluded as much.

How do you have a partnership with someone who vilifies you at every
opportunity?  It's great to sit around and say, "Can't we all just
get along?!"  Doing that depends on trust, and I don't have any.  Not
when the very people you want me to partner with are trying to
assassinate my character while you're suggesting it.

Joseph