[nabs-l] Ending the NFB/ACB feud

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue May 19 01:48:40 UTC 2009

Jon,
A lot think as you do.  I have blind friends of neither group.  They did not
join for the same reasons.  They did  not want to be part of political
controversies.  They say they agree with some of what ACB says and some of
what NFB says.
not want to
They are open to both philosophies and pick and choose to live life and
march to the beat of their own drum.
So I see what you're saying.  An advantage to picking and supporting one is
you're part of a civil rights movement and if you say to congress I support
something as a member of blank group you have more weight than fighting as
an individual.  It is numbers in this society that often change laws,
policies and attitudes.

If you choose not to be part of either, I hope you will make blind friends
since you'll identify with common struggles.  Playing a blind sport like
goal ball or beep ball is a good way to have fun and meet blind people.
Some local areas have events for the blind sponsored by a lighthouse for the
blind.  For instance the columbia lighthouse in DC has a summer day camp for
kids and youth, holiday party and family picnic  to name a few things.

Ashley