[nabs-l] Governor Sacrifices the Blind for Short Term Politics

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Wed May 20 03:46:40 UTC 2009

Ashley,

We've had outcries from both NFB and ACB here in Oregon, but we've
also had some objection from the ACB over the NFB's supposed attack
on the Commission leadership.

It's made the local news that an audit has surfaced with pretty major
misuses of taxpayer dollars.  Things like a biking trip that cost
$61,000 and was attended by 17 employees, 2 clients, and some
volunteers.  The governor was furious.  Two days later, he's calling
for closure of the Commission.

You'll read in the press release NFBO put out:

The final blow was delivered Friday, May 15th, when Governor
Kulongoski proposed total abolition of the Oregon Commission for the
Blind, which currently provides job training and rehabilitation to
blind adults and seniors.  In his attempt to cover up his own lack of
oversight of administrative misjudgments by his appointees who run
the Commission, the Governor sacrifices the quality of life and
future potential of the blind of Oregon.

There's an attack in there all right, directed at the governor of the
state.  The misjudgments are a matter of public record at this point,
so there is no question that they happened.  The question is what is
the governor suggesting be done about it.

Generally speaking, though, we are working together on this, because
we know that while we need to fix some problems in the Commission, we
can't do that unless we've got one to fix.

Joseph