[nabs-l] ACB not trying to destroy us?

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Wed May 20 11:44:15 UTC 2009

Peter,

I've always thought we should offer the ACB's Not The Braille Monitor
on Newsline.  I suggest this because I think we can withstand the
things they print about us in there, and I'm all for making
information that is relevant to blind people as accessible as
possible, even when we happen to think it's wrong.

Finally, it gives critics of Newsline little leg to stand on, as it
were, when they claim that Newsline is just another way to promote
the NFB and "brainwash" people with our philosophy.

Newsline is about promoting access to information, to my mind.  Of
course, I believe this does in fact promote the NFB.  I believe that
truly informed blind people in this country tend toward the NFB
because they recognize that we're more organized, have a more
realistic (if sometimes cynical) view of the sighted world and its
willing to adapt to us, and yet we're determined to compete despite
those obstacles.

I don't think the ACB would go for it, but if we asked and they said
no, the onus is upon them.

Joseph