[nabs-l] ACB not trying to destroy us?

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 21 01:19:10 UTC 2009

Hello Azizza, Sarah, and listers,

    When writing about things like this details tend to be left out when
they should have been included in the initial message. They began pounding
the table, and proceeded to attempt to turn it over. Luckily several of us
were sitting behind the table and were able to stop them from turning it
over and preventing the literature from spilling on the floor and possibly
causing damage to expensive adaptive equipment. One of these persons is a
long-time member of the ACB. If ACB doesn't condone this behavior why didn't
someone else manning their exhibit wave them off and send them home? Had
they done so and made sure everything was all right and apologized we would
have felt better about it. Yes the same thing happens during NFb events, but
I've seen and have made efforts to assist exhibiters in repairing their
exhibits ensuring that any expensive equipment that may have been upset was
all right, apologized and went on my way.

We've been through all of this too many times before where ACB is concerned.
We've had Braille Forums shoved down our throats, something that was stopped
when we reported them to the Texas Attorney General's Office. On another
occasion we invited several persons we knew to be ACB members to accompany
us to a business function. They came from Massachusetts and were guests in
our home. During the entire weekend all we heard was this and that about how
bad the NFB was, and that the ACB was right. Those individuals found
themselves on an airplane headed home a little  sooner than they expected.
The airline charged them a hefty change fee for rebooking their tickets. All
we could say was good! We were glad that we taught them that continuing to
harbor mistaken beliefs about the NFB and perpetuating them can be a very
expensive business. We made sure they got home and were all right, but they
spent a few less nights on the town for the next few months thanks to their
closed-mindedness concerning the NFB. Call us heavy-handed, but this, and
things that occurred during the early part of this decade caused us to adopt
such an aggressive stance against this mayhem. Anyway I need to check on a
Web site and prepare to record this week's edition of Musica Antiqua.

Peter Donahue