[nabs-l] Ending the NFB/ACB feud

Melissa Green graduate56 at juno.com
Thu May 21 08:27:51 UTC 2009

It is obvious that this feud will probably go on for many more years.  I
have made my choice of what organization that I want to support.  With that
said, my goal is to help blind people.  That is more important to me than
what organization someone belongs to.  I do have an issue though with having
my name and reputation drug through the mudd.  I also don't apreciate my
attempts to offer help being thrown in my face either.  This has happened
with both ACB and NFB.  But I haven't let that stop me from trying to help
blind people.  Isn't that what we all want is to help blind people become
more successful and achieve some kind of independence?  That is what I
gather from my involvement in both organizations.  Granted during my time in
the ACB, the social outweighed the helping of blind people.  There were lots
of people either younger than I, or very much older.  In my personal
opinion, I never really saw much diversity in the leadership of the ACB.
This is just my observation.
This has been a good dialogue on the subject.  However, I think that there
will still be people in both organizations that will bash the other.  Just
like there will still be people wanting to pitt the organizations against
one another.  Then there are those who will get mad at either one and then
slam it to the other.  Finally, I think that we work on issues like the
reading rights coalition, and then we also concintrate on our separte issues
as organizations.  And, I have friends in both organizations, and friends
who aren't affilliated.  I plan to keep them all.
Melissa Green
The most splendid achievement of all is the constant striving to surpass
yourself and to be worthy of your own approval.