[nabs-l] Straight Talk about Vision Loss: The Blind Driver Challenge

Jim Reed jim275_2 at yahoo.com
Thu May 21 20:28:44 UTC 2009

Hey all,

When I read this post, I immediatly thought of the TV show "MythBusters" on the Discovery Channel. For those of you unfamiliar with the show, the whole point of the show is to scientificly and empericly test the validity of urban legends and myths.

In one episode, they tested a urban ledgend that after a night of drinking, a drunken sighted person convinced his sober(er) blind friend to drive. The blind driver was following the instructions of the sighted person. They got pulled over.

Anyhow, MythBusters tested this. They got a totally blind guy to drive on a closed course using one of the Mythbusters as a sighted guide. The pair worked so well together that they moved the experement onto the open road where the pair once again passed with flying colors.

Then to test the other half of this legend, they had the sighted guide get drunk prior to serving as the blind driver's sighted guide. They did considerably worse on the closed course, and did not attempt the open road.