[nabs-l] Role of a student division

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun May 24 04:12:05 UTC 2009

Hi Jim,

Great questions. Joining a student division shouldn't be mutually
exclusive with local chapter participation. In fact, student divisions
help the affiliate to the extent to which they get young people and
students involved in their local chapters. Ideally, when people join
your student division they will simultaneously also join their local
chapters. Getting the first few students to join the local chapters is
tough, but after that happens and more students start flowing in, the
average age of chapter members will drop, which in turn will attract
more students. Patience is key here.

As for marketing, it's probably best to focus on students and student
issues in your mission statements and event descriptions. But you can
also mention that those who are thinking about enrolling or
re-enrolling in school are welcome as well, as well as kids who aren't
in college yet (high school and even junior high aged kids can
benefit).

Arielle