[nabs-l] Video Captture Software

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 25 01:41:17 UTC 2009

Good evening everyone,

    I'm copying the NFB Webmasters and Living History Group List on this
post as there may be folks there who may wish to try their hand at video
capture to not jus hear the 2009 convention stream, but to permit their
sighted friends and relatives to "See" what it is we do at these events.
Video of these conventions is a great keep-sake as well. I recall reading in
The Braille Monitor last year of a scholarship winner whose parents were not
able to attend the convention, but were able to watch their daughter receive
her award and speak to the banquet from the podium. It meant a lot to her
parents to be able to share and preserve the moment for the entire family.

    Thus far I've come across two video capture applications that are very
blind-friendly.  One of these is a product called, "Debute" marketed by NCH
Software in Australia. I'll send their URL later on. They make this
application freely available and invite you to send them a donation in order
to keep their free downloads program going. I've delt with this company in
the past and know they're for real. Most if not all of their audio, video,
business, and phone software is usable by the blind and contains lots of
keyboard shortcuts.

    Another screen capture application I was made aware of is the Fire-Fox
screen capture Add-on. I haven't tried it yet, but will let you know when I
do and my impressions of the product. If you know of other accessible video
capture applications I'd like to hear about them. If my hunch is  correct I
think we'll be quite surprised by how much digital video work can be done
independently by a blind person. Now who says the blind can't do digital
video?

Peter Donahue