[nabs-l] access to appliances

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue May 26 01:59:33 UTC 2009

Jamie,
For now I use those techniques.  On the flat stove I imagine it.  I remember
the layout from the previous model of stove that had
raised tactile burners.  I center the dishes the best I can with my vision
and feeling.  I put my
hand over the stove and feel
where its hottest without touching it.
Still I think the tactile stoves were easier to use and not as much guess
work!  That's why I'm wondering which companies if any still make accessible
stoves.  When I am ready to shop for appliances, I will choose ones that are
more accessible.

For flat pannel appliances I also had them labeled.
Although I didn't use dots because that isn't specific.  I used dimo tape
and a rehab teacher helped me label the screen with numbers.  For some
buttons we had to have one or two letters rather than the whole word as in
print because of lack of space; braille takes more room.  So for instance on
the oven BK is for bake, cl for clear and ST for stop.

Ashley