[nabs-l] [nfbcs] Mac Accessibility

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu May 28 13:40:55 UTC 2009

Joe,

Dean Martineau's advice is sound, get in touch with some MAC users via the list he mentions.  If there are MAC users on these lists, though, by all means share your
experiences.

>From a technical standpoint, VoiceOver is not JFW or Window-Eyes.  That does not mean that it may not perform as well in some circumstances and it should not be
disregarded by any means.  However, the environment is different and the approach is different.  VoiceOver depends more exclusively on applications following the
rules, so to speak.  Apple believes that this will work on the MAC because they have more control over the applications that run on the MAC.  Whether that is true
only time will tell.  Therefore, it is important that you find out what applications are being used on the MAC.  If applications are being used that won't work with
VoiceOver, then it probably is not worth making the switch.  It is my understanding that Microsoft for the MAC does not work with VoiceOver, for example.

You do not have to install anything for VoiceOver to work providing the MAC is running a version of the operating system that is not too old.  Pretty much any MAC
purchased or updated during the past couple of years will have VoiceOver on it.  You can toggle it on and off by pressing COMAND F5.  The "Command" key is
simply another sort of shift key available on the MAC.  Pressing that same key combination will turn VoiceOver off.

In addition, there are ways to run Windows programs on a MAC.  I have definitely heard of people running Window-Eyes with Windows apps on the MAC.  However,
this does not let you use JFW or Window-Eyes with MAC applications.  If you can't use the MAC software that your co-workers are using with VoiceOver, then I
question the advantage of using a MAC to run Windows applications.

Now, I have a challenge for you.  Since you are going to do some research, how about coming back and sharing what you learned with these lists.  This is a subject
that is interesting to many people, and with VoiceOver out there, there will be more people considering making this move.  While I know there are gaps, there seems
to be a lot of satisfied users,.  It would be helpful to know what the gaps are and where the MAC works well for us.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson