[nabs-l] It's time to fix the Free White Cane Program

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Wed Nov 4 20:01:49 UTC 2009

Hello Everyone.

I did some research regarding this issue and here's what I've discovered.

Firstly, the cane supply for the Independence Market and the free cane
program are two different supplies. The American Action Fund is the
organization who supplied the canes for the NFB cane program. At first,
the AAF ordered canes for adults then later added canes for kids. So
it's not at all impossible for them to order longer canes for taller
adults. The issue is not a matter of discrimination. This issue is
that, when the canes were originally ordered, they were ordered
according to how many people could benefit from the program. At the
moment, there aren't immediate plans to replenish the free cane supply.
When the free cane supply is replenished, that would be a better time
to talk about ordering a few taller canes for people, especially now
since the bug has been put in the ears of people who matter and can
make the appropriate decision to get them. Before now, it simply may
not have occured to anyone to order a few tall canes just as kid canes
didn't get ordered at first.

While none of this information helps taller people in the immediate
here and now, it does tell us that taller canes for the free cane
program can be ordered at some point whenever the AAF funds the next
order. In the meantime, local chapters and affiliates can buy canes for
taller people if taller people can't aford them from the Independence Market.

In short, the word has gotten around to the right people such that
future action can be taken to support taller people in need of free
canes. In the meantime, don't forget that chapters and affiliates can
fill in the gaps so that blind folks can get what they need for
independent travel.

Respectfully,
Jedi Moerke
President
National Federation of the Blind of Washington Student Division
Northwest Chapter of the National federation of the Blind of washington