[nabs-l] Should DSS hire certified braille transcribers?

Valerie Perry vpbraille at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 23:34:08 UTC 2009

What is the "norm" out there? Do most of your college DSS offices produce
any hard copy Braille like for test and such? Or is electronic files pretty
much all you can get so that is what is settled for? I am curious if
advocating for a certified Braille transcriber be put on staff is pointless.
Currently, they are producing Braille but can't even read  a page number.
So far they have managed to avoid putting any of the test into Braille but I
wonder what will happen when a professor does get the test to them on time.
What should we be advocating for in regards to textbooks, is electronic
files that have to be cleaned up what we are settling for? Or is it too big
of a dream for publishers to hire the dwindling supply of experienced
certified Braille transcribers and release Braille formatted electronics
files at the same time print versions are released?

Thanks

Valerie