[nabs-l] Turkey Humor and a Blind Cartoon

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 17:42:28 UTC 2009

Geetings,

A relative forwarded to me some Thanksgiving humor~there were five cartoons
and photographs with the quote "ha these are very funny". One cartoon showed
this: a man with a cane which was red half the way up and the handle was
crooked at the top, he wore dark glasses, his cane was held out forward but
not touching anything but the ground, he was sort of looking up a bit, he
appeared to be walking amidst a flock of turkeys who each had a caption
above their heads which read "Moo-Moo".

Wondering what your reaction to a relative or anyone or just the cartoon
might be. And what you think the ramifications of this perpetuated humor
are/might be. I did something about this to the relative already and once
wrote to a Pulizter Prize cartoonist about his cartoojn portrayal which I
thought disrespectful and perpetuating of false ideas. I also wonder how
important you think it might be to write to the originator/creator of such
things after the fact when it can not be changed anymore. I know what I
think, and I know when I have "complained" I am typically the only one they
have heard from, and I think it makes it harder. "No one else found this
'bad'".but I wonder what you all think.

 Best,

Carrie Gilmer