[nabs-l] Spanish translation

V Nork ginisd at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 10 02:22:16 UTC 2009

Dear list, Does anyone have any advice on seeking Spanish to English translations on line?  I am enrolled in a three unit college classin Chicano Literature here in San Diego, California.  While most of the texts were written in English or are in translation to English, a couple of the texts have  sizeable Spanish  passages interspersed within the English  text.  For example, in the works of Luis Valdez, his acto or short play called Soldado Razo is mostly Spanish, and without knowing the language, you miss most of the characterization and plotline. I  was lucky enough to find a bilingual student to translate the short playfor me, but I wonder if there is a way to translate spanish passages into English that is better than the google language tool I have tried on the main page of Google.  I have taken a fair amount of Spanish, but it is a bit rusty.   Most of the class is bilingual, so I am finding it interesting to experience, even in a minor way, the obstacles faced by many ESL students on a daily basis.  Thanks for any thoughts on a translation program or utility, Ginnie