[nabs-l] TALKS/Mobile Speak

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sun Oct 11 20:53:54 UTC 2009

Jordan,

The first consideration is which service provider you are with.  If you are on a family plan, you will have to narrow your
focus to phones that work on that provider.  Then, realize that there are some phones that have some accessibility built
in and do not require a screen reader.  However there are usually gaps in the access with such phones but they may be
a free upgrade for you.  If you are going to be starting a contract by yourself, then this is less critical.

If you start looking at phones with more power that allow you to use a screen reader, the next thing to realize is that
TALks does not work on all types of phones.  There are some phones that use the Windows Mobile operating system
that will not work with TALks as I understand it, for which Mobil Speak is the only option.  There are also phones that
are
not accessible and have no capability of working with an existing screen reader.  My understanding is similar to Dave's
that TALks is more stable, but there are phones that only work with Mobile Speak, and no doubt there are people who
probably find some feature unique to Mobile Speak that is important to them.

Therefore, there is a lot of sorting out that one has to do, something I am trying to do myself right now.  It is driving me
crazy.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson