[nabs-l] nabs-l Digest, Vol 36, Issue 10

Alysha Jeans anj2 at rice.edu
Mon Oct 12 02:03:51 UTC 2009

Hi Chelsea,
Unfortunately, I think the issues you raise are pretty common, and I haven't
found/heard an ideal solution to them yet. I took the AP calculus test with
no problems, but I was lucky enough to have a vision teacher who knew Nemeth
and who transcribed exactly what I wrote on my braille notes. If you can,
try and get a scribe who knows something about math so they're more likely
to transcribe your answers accurately. I don't remember having any issues
with drawing graphs, but that's not to say that it couldn't happen. I know
they replace questions on the braille calc test that would require graphing
calculators with ones that don't, so perhaps they give free response
questions that don't require lots of graph-drawing as well. Math/science
standardized tests are always kind of a mess since you can't usually use the
technology you're used to, and having your answers written by a sighted
person is far from ideal, but it's still definitely possible to do well.
As for the virtual physics labs, it sounds like the community college might
be your best bet. I would suggest working with a partner in your class, but
it seems you're out of luck since it's distance learning. Way to go for
taking the initiative to find a reader outside your school. Your school
really should be providing you the assistance you need though, so I would
really put pressure on them to get you an aid who knows something about
physics/computers.
And as to your question about good physics programs, you should look into
Rice University in Houston. I'm a senior there now studying electrical
engineering, but I've taken tons of physics classes too, and it's a great
school. There are lots of opportunities for undergraduates to get involved
in research, and Disability Support Services actually gives me all my
math/science books and homeworks in braille. Best of luck with your AP
classes and college search!

Thanks,
Alysha