[nabs-l] perceptual awareness

Adrianne Dempsey adrianne.dempsey at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 05:28:44 UTC 2009

I am wondering if any one has experienced this or something like it and if you have any ideas as to what causes it or how to fix the problem.  At the risk of sounding silly, I sometimes have some sort of perceptual problem.  It may be because of blindness, but I believe it has something to do with my dyslexia.  I am not really sure what to call it, but it is similar to vertigo, though I am positive it is not the right word.  I sort of lose my sense of direction.  It is especially terrifying when I am in a place I already don't know, but it even happens when I am in a familiar area.  When it happens in a familiar place I can adjust after a moment or to but it is still frustrating.  Basically what happens is everything around me is different from the way it was a second ago.  I am fully aware that the room didn't actually change, but my brain no longer recognizes the pattern.  I mean I could be in my kitchen, and I know my kitchen-I cook in and clean it every day with no problems except those random moments when all of a sudden I suddenly don't know which way I am facing or what the proximity of matter around me is.  When this happens I feel like a crazy person because I know my house, and it doesn't happen all the time and it never lasts long, but I feel so lost when it does.  I know it has nothing to do with orientation because it has nothing to do with  learning an area.  I use to think it did as it happens allot more when I am in a big open area but it happens in places I am very familiar with as well.  I started thinking it might be a blindness thing, but I don't know many other people it happens to if any.  I was diagnosed with dyslexia, and that is your brains inability to recognize patterns.  It shows up mostly in reading and righting, and it defanatly does that for me, but I am wondering if it extends farther to spatial and directional perceptions.  If anyone has any thoughts on this  please let me know as I am curious as to  it's relationship to dyslexia or if it is something else entirely and any thoughts on how to remedy it.

Thanks so much.

Andi