[nabs-l] Spacial Awareness as a Totally Blind Person

Corbb O'Connor corbbo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 06:05:40 UTC 2009

One trick that's worked for me at networking events is to go up to
people and say, "Hi, I'm Corbb. What group are you here with?" If I
find that it's another student, I don't immediately push myself away.
Instead, I say, "Ah me too! Which partner did you find the most
interesting?" That way, I not only get information about what other
companies might be in the room, but I get a chance to be social and
not just "on a mission" to find contacts. As for breaking into
conversations, sometimes I'll step back and listen for a moment, and
if the conversation is between a few students and a recruiter, say,
"My question is similar to that -- " and then ask a question. That
brings me into the circle, shows I am engaged, and assures the group
that I'm not lost and looking for something in particular. Oh, and if
somebody asks where you're heading or whatnot, just say, "I'm just
seeing what I can find -- I'm Corbb, by the way, a student at GW
hoping to go into economic journalism or consulting." That often is a
great way to meet people I wouldn't otherwise have met!

Hope that helps!
Corbb

P.S. Have you visited www.Braille.org yet? Check out the first U.S.
coin with full-size Braille on it!