[nabs-l] rest in peace Sue Ponchillia

Adrianne Dempsey adrianne.dempsey at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 07:05:06 UTC 2009

I don't know how many of you on the list knew Sue Ponchillia, but she was a grate leader and simultaneously a grate side kick to Paul.  She helped change the way the blind view sports and spread knowledge to the sighted world about blind peoples abilities.  She and Paul believed in not letting kids sit out of gym class because they couldn't see, and together they gathered all the information they could on adapting sports and recreational games.  They started an annual  camp in Michigan to introduce blind kids to sports, and for the returnees farther training to improve.  Many blind kids joined sports teams at school because of their efforts including myself.  Sue deserves allot of credit for this grate impact on many peoples lives as she put her heart and soul in to sports camp, and even extended it to other states.
    On top of all she did for the blind community she was a professor at Western Michigan and a loving wife to Paul.  She had a heart of gold and a jovial manner that was infectious.  She was witty and intelligent.  She has been fighting Brest cancer for a few years now and was very brave through it all.  She kept up a good attitude and never gave up on her mission or Paul's.  With out her the blind and sports would never be what it is to day.  She also made a monumental difference in a lot of lives just by being Sue, and she is and will be missed by many.
I love you Sue thank you for everything you did for me your legacy lives on.

Andi