[nabs-l] perceptual awareness

Adrianne Dempsey adrianne.dempsey at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 17:46:30 UTC 2009

Ashley dyslexia is not a visual disorder, though that is a common thought,
because it is usually associated with reading and righting only.  This is
where it is most common I think but I read brail and have the same problem
as sighted people with reading and righting so it is not visual.  I read
very slowly because I have to decode everything in my head as I am reading
it.  Letters either switch places with in the word, or flip upside down and
because it's brail becomes a different letter, so that is annoying.  But I
also notice it when I type or dial phone numbers.  It is not always, as I am
a pretty fast typist, and I know the numbers on a phone but once in a while
my brain malfunctions or something and I hit the wrong button or key.  It is
different then a typo, as it isn't necessarily an accident, for example,
sometimes even though I know the keyboard well I will hit F instead of J or
T instead of V or something like that.  It is very frustrating but I have
learned to deal with it and have learned little tricks as to how not to make
as many mistakes or catch them more quickly so other people don't notice as
much. I still hate reading out loud because I sound like I don't know how to
read and that is not true, it is just that I don't always have the pattern
right and have to decode.
    Because I don't know what causes my other perceptual problem I am only
guessing that it may be dyslexia but like I said I don't know.  As I said
before it is not constant it is random and the time of temporary confusion
last some times for just a second or sometimes for a few minutes it just
depends on the, well I don't know what it depends on.  I don't know what
causes it or if what factors if any make it worse.  You can get tested for
dyslexia but it is very hard to find a psychologist who uses non visual
tests.  If your truly interested in finding out if you are or not they are
out their you just have to search a little harder.