[nabs-l] Spacial Awareness as a Totally Blind Person

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Wed Oct 14 03:04:04 UTC 2009

J.J.,

First of all, I want to say that, as I see it, you do just fine. I know
I've only seen you at Federation functions, but it seems to me that you
have little to worry about in terms of spacial awkwardness or
awkwardness in general. Even so, I do feel it useful to comment on your
post since I think it brings up an interesting issue that has nothing
to do with spacial awareness and everything to do with howothers see us
and how we see ourselves.

Dr. Jernigan once said that we accept the public image of ourselves as
blind people and do much to make that public image a reality. it's
amazing how true this is. You'd actually be remarkably surprised at how
few differences there really are between people with some and no
vision. Many low vision people I know (including myself) have the same
questions about how to handle conferences with ccrowds, especially
since we blind people are seldom allowed to simply wander aimlessly as
the sighted do.

Getting back to your question about spacial awareness. From your post,
it sounds to me that you're proposing a significant difference between
how those with some vision and those with no vision navigate and handle
space. First of all, it's important to understand that spacial
awareness, contrary to popular belief, has nothing to do with visual
perception except to say that vision is one way to cue and activate
spacial abilities. Sound cues are another, tactile and other clues are
still others. We blind often absorb eht false notion that we're
handicapped spacially since that's why we grow up believing from
blindness professionals who almost always happen to be sighted. For
many sighted people, they're not actually aware of the fact that they
even have spacial abilities. They, in a way, see a series of images
that exist in their minds to guide them from point A to point B. When
those images appear in real life outside their heads, it's like
receiving a visual instruction to turn left or right. We blind do this
too with other non-visual objects, especially those of us trained to
use routes only. I can certainly say I did the same, especially before
my blindfold training at LCB. That's why so many learning under
blindfold for the first time get so messed up; they're relying on those
visual instructions rather than paying attention to where they've been
and where they're going. Is any of this making any sense?

In all reality, what I'm saying here is that you may have unconsciously
absorbed the belief that spacial awareness should be more difficult for
you because you have no vision. That's not at all true. However, if
spacial awareness truly is a difficulty for you, keep in mind that
sighted people often have difficulty with it as well; we weren't all
born with every talent and intelligence out there. As to personal space
issues, much of the rules regarding proxemics vary depending on who
you're talking to and the various parts of the overall context of the
situation. but if it helps, I don't recall ever thinking or feeling
spacially uncomfortable in your presence even though you and I only
spent so much time together at National Headquarters in March. does that help?

Respectfully,
Jedi