[nabs-l] nabs-l petition

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sun Oct 18 22:34:39 UTC 2009

Alex,

I thought I'd send some suggestions regarding your petition. First, the
rehab act does specify the process of "informed Choice" which does give
participants the right to investigate training options and make their
choice according to their needs. The problem is that rehabilitation
agencies often use bureaucracy to stifle informed choice by making
clients jump through ridiculous amounts of hoops. Or, especially in
these times, rehab agencies may use budgetary shortfalls as an excuse
to not send a student to a training center. Also our training centers
and those housed in-state seem the same on paper, so potential
customers have no real understanding what our training centers have
that's so unique. Frankly, I'm not sure your petition captures the
uniqueness of our training centers such that lawmakers and other
officials really understand the necessity of the option to choose.

What exactly is at the heart of our training centers that no other
training centers really have? It's not the trips to the mall or the
challenge activities. Other training centers have those too. Is the
uniqueness of our centers captured in the resume building classes, ADL
training, or even in our cane training? Not really. Is it that we have
blind staff? No. These days, training centers have all of those. And if
they don't, they will convince you that they do.

The thing that really separates our centers from all others is this: we
believe that it's not only okay to be blind, but that it's altogether
respectable. We require the same level of performance at our centers
that any training facility for sighted adults would regardless of the
educational material. Our curriculum isn't based in what the training
professional believes will work for the student. Instead, our
curriculum is based on teaching students the basic skills so that
students have the power and correct judgment to decide what's best and
what will work for them. The fact that we have blind staff is evidence
of our beliefs, but any training center can have blind staff and claim
that they're role models for their students. And yes they are. Whether
they espouse the best philosophy on blindness is another issue entirely.

Our training philosophy is based on the philosophy of the National
Federation of the Blind. As I've said above, we believe it's
respectable to be blind. Furthermore, we believe that blindness is
nothing more than a characteristic that, like other characteristics
possessed by humans, limits us from time to time. These limitations are
not debilitating as most people imagine. Instead, they are occasional
inconveniences that we simply deal with. We believe that a blind person
can compete on terms of equality with our sighted friends and neighbors
given the proper training and opportunity. But for me, what really
separates us from other training centers is our unabashed relationship
with the Organized Blind. More specifically, we are deeply interlaced
with the Federation and are not afraid or ashamed to say so.
Unfortunately, so many training centers are so afraid of stepping on
organizational territory or are so afraid of offending some portion of
their students that the Federation (and even the Council in some
places) is not even mentioned or barely alluded to.

Your petition needs to express just what this stuff means beyond the
facade of trips and blind role models. If you can adjust the wording of
your petition to really reflect the real need of blind people to be
around our positive philosophy, then I'd feel a lot better signing it.
Unfortunately, in my opinion, an official might not be able to really
glean what it is that separates us from all others. Alongside that, I'd
like the petition to address the issue of bureaucracy as a tool for
stifling informed choice. While you're correct that states don't even
adhere to informed choice practices, more states simply throw
bureaucracy in the way of clients to the point where clients simply
give up or move to another state that's friendlier to their cause. If
it's not too late to adjust your petition and if you think my
suggestions are valid, let me know and I'll be happy to help you with it.

Respectfully,
Jedi