[nabs-l] The MAT

Harry Hogue harryhogue at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 26 22:31:40 UTC 2009

Hello folks,

I am working on taking the MAT.  It has to be one of the more frustrating experiences I've had.

They tell me that the ocmputerized version does not work with JAWS; I certainly know that the practice test from Perason does not.  They propose I use a reader to complete the computerized exam.  The terminology is specialized enough that this is really quite ineffective for my needs.  With JAWS, I am able to quickly move about the question and answers, quickly jumping back and forth, spelling words as needed, comparing answers with blanks, etc, just as I would if I were sighted.

Suggestions on what to do here is appreciated.  I would take it in Braille, but I like the instant feedback of the comptuer version and I need to have quick results go i can get into a grad program for the spring term.  Also, I do not want to do audio for hte reason that it would be delayefd in scoring, but also that I do not trust whoever they would have read the exam.

Make sense?

Please help!  I need an accessible exam!

Harry