[nabs-l] For students, a study about braille usage

Antonio Guimaraes aguimaraes at nbp.org
Tue Oct 27 14:22:39 UTC 2009

Hello all,

Here is a chance for some of you to take part in a study about braille usage.

The study consists of a survey, and an interview. The interview is optional.

Antonio Guimaraes

[Flyer for Students: Announcement of Study]

Seeking Students for Research Study

Students who are between the ages of 16 and 22 years who are braille readers and users of assistive technology are needed for a study. This study will explore how you use both braille and electronic information for classroom work, and how you learned these literacy practices. The purpose of this research will be to add to our understanding of the current role of both hard-copy (paper) braille and use of electronic access to information by people who are blind from ages 16-22, and your attitudes and perceptions about both braille and technology. This information will inform how we prepare pre-service teachers to instruct young braille readers.

If you are interested in participating in this study or getting more information, please contact me via email at  fmd22 at pitt.edu, by calling 412-521-5797, or by writing to me at:

Frances Mary D'Andrea

5513 Posvar Hall

University of Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh PA 15260

If you are under 18, you MUST have your parents' or guardians' permission. A consent form will be send to you in braille or electronically after you verify that you are:

1. between the ages of 16-22

2. a student enrolled in school

3. a braille reader

4. a user of electronic assistive technology devices, hardware, or software.

If you are under 18, your parents will also receive a consent form that must be signed before you can participate.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you for your interest!

Frances Mary D'Andrea