[nabs-l] doing research in a lab and a blindness question

Mary Oliver screwdrivermary at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 28 03:06:23 UTC 2009

Hi Jedi,
I definitely don't want to discourage anyone from working in a lab, but to me, this doesn't seem that simple. Yes, Cindy could get a reader who could tell her what the rats are doing, but then what would Cindy be contributing to the lab? Often as an undergraduate lab assistant, you get the "grunt work" of collecting data or physically running experiments while the more experienced faculty and graduate students do a lot of the thinking. There are certainly lots of exceptions, but if the main point of Cindy's job would be to observe the rats and gather data about their behavior, and she hired a reader to help her accomplish those tasks, wouldn't she just be hiring someone to do her job? Maybe it would be better if she could find a lab project she could contribute to independently with marginal, if any, assistance from a reader. There are probably several options, and personally, I would feel a lot better about my job if I knew I wasn't relying on a
 sighted person to do most of it.

Respectfully,Mary