[nabs-l] Notetaker Reviews

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 13:49:50 UTC 2009

Dean,

Good point.  I should have included what I was looking for.

I'm looking for greater compatibility with mainstream devices.  I agree with
Gary that the Braille quality on the BrailleNote is pleasantly sharp, but I
may consider trading that for quicker connectivity and conversion between
file formats.  Braille is, by the way, my main reason for wanting to
evaluate new units.  I like the benefits of the Icon and such products, but
I like a unit with a built-in Braille display as opposed to the Pac Mate
which at one point was selling as a detached piece.  Is that still the case?

I don't know how much I need third-party applications.  The BrailleNote,
unless I'm mistaken, does not offer much support for such collaboration, so
I've never had the opportunity to really delve into what is available for
Windows operating systems, or Linux for that matter.

On that note, I would be willing to learn Linux if anyone has experience
with the Elba, even if it does appear to be on the heavy side of the scale
compared to the weight of the Braille Sense and BrailleNote.

In brief, I bought a smaller laptop for greater portability, but for
presentations I want a good Braille display system that can talk with the
laptop without much fuss or additional file conversion steps.  I could
invest in a small Braille display, but there are trips when I want to be
able to not have to carry two pieces of equipment when only one could
suffice.

At any rate, I really appreciate people's feedback.  Like I said, the prices
on these things are ridiculous.  The price to fix them when they bust is
equally disturbing, so I want to make sure my money is being well-spent.
Your advice is good because it seems the only thing we can do without the
opportunity to check into a store and play with one.  Maybe Apple will
figure out Braille display technology and give the current players a run for
their money.

Joe Orozco

"A man who wants to lead the orchestra must turn his back on the
crowd."--Max Lucado