[nabs-l] an interesting question

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 04:47:59 UTC 2009

I am no more in favor of allowing blind people to wield guns than I am in
favor of allowing them to get behind the steering wheel of a car.  In the
woods under proper instruction or in an empty parking lot with a good
guiding passenger, by all means enjoy yourself, but technology has not
advanced far enough to justify the popular practice of either of these
activities in the general public.  The argument will no doubt be made that
technological advancements did not keep scientists from envisioning
themselves on the moon.  This is true, but as dismal as it may be, space
exploration was not achieved at the risk of lives outside of the people
engaged in the experiment.

For me it has nothing to do with ability.  I have no doubt that blind people
could learn the skills involved in handling a gun or steering a car.  It has
more to do with the basic element of sight involved in aiming the weapon and
driving the vehicle, but I do not trust technology to weigh the delicate
line between life and death, which is why I would never trust myself to
board a plane that flew itself.  After all, this too is not beyond the realm
of contemplation.

Don't let these observations fool you.  It is no mystery I am politically
conservative and pro gun rights.  Yet I feel that as a minority segment of
society we have very limited political capital to spend on educating
Congress and the public at large.  I would rather spend that little bit of
capital on convincing people we can work competently in an office before we
go trying to persuade folks we can blow a hole with decent accuracy.  On a
more practical level, I would rather use some of that capital to redirect
funding toward finding ways to minimize or maybe even prevent blindness, so
that if an intruder were to attempt to injure my family I can make damn sure
that the first shot is all I needed.

So, there's my twenty dollar's worth.  I may have widened the scope of what
was originally called for, but it's a fine discussion thread to kick off the
semester.  Never a dull moment on the good old NABS-L.

Joe Orozco

"A man who wants to lead the orchestra must turn his back on the
crowd."--Max Lucado