[nabs-l] spss help

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 23:35:44 UTC 2009

Hi Mary and all,

I'm going to provide an abbreviated version of my usual response to
SPSS queries. If you have follow-up questions, feel free to email me
off-list or give me a call at
602-502-2255
as some of this stuff is better explained over the phone.

In general, JAWS accessibility with SPSS is limited. I'd suggest first
opening SPSS and figuring out whether or not you have a "Syntax
Editor" in the file menu. If so, then you can use syntax (commands) to
run your analyses. Use MS-Excel for any data manipulations and to read
output, and use SPSS only to run your commands. If you want to go this
route, email me off-list for a list of basic SPSS commands or ask your
stats instructor.

The alternative is to use SAS, which is fully accessible. I don't know
for sure if R is fully usable, but it sounds like some blind students
have gotten it to work as well. But SAS is definitely workable.

As a short-term solution, if you're just doing T-tests or chi-square
tests, there's a cool website that is fully accessible and that will
do these basic analyses. The URL is:
http://www.graphpad.com/quickcalcs/index.cfm
Microsoft Excel can also do descriptive stats and correlation
(Pearson's r) by itself. This is what I'm teaching my undergrad
students to do.

OK, this is not as brief as I intended, but call or email me if you
have questions about any of the alternatives I've suggested.

Arielle

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org