[nabs-l] Reading and writing Spanish

Harry Hogue harryhogue at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 17 07:55:22 UTC 2009

Hi Lindsay,

You can change your keyboard layout to write in Spanish, at least in Windows.  Let me know if you're interested in knowing how to do this and I can tell you how.  It allows you to press the apostrophe followed by the letter you want accented, and shift with some other symbols--the inverted question mark, exclamation point, etc.  I can give you the key commands, bu the best thing to do, I've found, is once you ahve it changed over, just turn JAWS or Voiceover to read characters and play around with the different symbols.

I use a Focus 40 with JAWS, so I don't know if my display functions different as far as table layout, but I switch mine to ESP 438 or something like that.  It's the only "esp" in there.  You can, of course, always use another table, but those are the traditional symbols for what I guess is considered official Spanish Braille.  Please odn't hesitate to write me off list if you have any other questions or need help with Spanish or whatever.  It's a great language.

Harry