[nabs-l] Awkward Situations: What would you do?

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Fri Sep 18 03:37:09 UTC 2009

NABSters:

I recently joined a health club. Naturally, I have to deal with curious
people who figure they can ask me whatever whenever. I'm working on
finding ways to politely and firmly set boundaries as needed. For the
most part, things have been okay. I've had to explain a lot (which gets
old). But tonight, I experienced something so way out there that I just
didn't know what to say or do!

We'd just finished up a guest lecture. One of the other club members
and I got to talking. Just before we planned to part ways, she said
that I could identify her by the way she smelled. At thesame time, she
stuck her wrist in front of my nose and told me to smell her perfume! I
was mortified, and all I could think to say was Ëxcuse me?"as I
recoiled. Apparently, she and this other blind guy (someone I happen to
know( have this running joke that he can identify her by her scent. She
figured then that that's how all blind people identify others. I tried
to explain that this isn't so, and I think that she figured out quickly
that her behavior was definitely inappropriate.

I would like to know others on list have done in similar situations.

Thanks.

Respectfully,
Jedi