[nabs-l] AmeriCorps national Civilian Community Corps (NCCC)

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 16:46:07 UTC 2009

I knew what I wanted to do from the get-go.  Some years ago, I had met
a NCC team (   NCCC  is team-based) at the colorado center for the
blind.   They were  working on one of  the classrooms and   I was a
summer student at the time.  Years had  passed and  every once and a
while  I was reminded and encouraged to join the program until one day
I did.
 Let me say, that there were alot of challanges beyond  those  of  a
corps member  who joins and adjusts to being away from home or with a
new set of people.  As you  might imagine, it was more of a challange
to  be allowed to   do tasks and use tools that   my team mates could
do.  I believe the best gage of  their expectations came from  a
conversation my team leader and I had when she tole me that  her
supervisor back on campus gave  her strict instructions  not to allow
me to use  any power tool ( a conversation that, of course, they did
not have  with me).  That  was but a small  piece of a  educational
and  great time for many reasons.  I  went to my first Crawfish boil
and fish  fry as well.  And upon joining my shuffle round team in
alabama;  I had never listened to  so much country in my life, lol.  i
gainned friends, some  from New york to seattle and  they are  all
dear to me and  we've all been there  for eachother; it was  so
amazing to look back and consider.
 it is  worth noting that there are many  many ways  you can serve
your community through national and community service, I just found a
program that  fit what I personally wanted to do.  I believe that I'm
not done serving just because I  finished my term in  NCCC.  I
actually want to  see service as a movement alive in well in the NFb,
maybe one day in a divisional form  not much different than that  of
nabs, as that can  show others that we are ready  willing and able to
serve our communities and are  not   simply an object of need that you
see on the street.    The particular branch of americorps I was in had
very little exposure to blindness, and  when  leadership oppertunities
 were presented, I  had to push a little to get the chance to
contribute  my skills.  Still, there is a long way to go in this
branch (maybe not  in other, maybe  more so  in others).  i can go
back to the time when I started  applying for   team leader positions;
 though I was asked to be interviewed by four campuses, no offers came
out of those  interviews.  I  came to understand that  most of the
people who  got excepted for positionson campuses were  people  who
served in the same summer of service program that I did and were corps
members like I was, so I had  wondered  why they didn't at least  have
 me considered as an alternate for  any possible  openings.   Again,
that was one program. and I think for  one story in  one branch there
are twenty successes, it's just that NCCC needed to see that i was
more than a blind  guy in an americorps  uniform, because all of their
  project  sponsors did.  And that's  what can happen if we  work on
community service as a part of what we do, we will  be changing  what
it means to be  blind   in another important and real way.