[nabs-l] Awkward Situations: What would you do?

Joseph C. Lininger jbahm at pcdesk.net
Sat Sep 19 23:44:56 UTC 2009

Howdy Meghan and listers,
Boy don't I know about the immature people thing. Hell, I was one of
them. As a teenager, my blind friends and I used to have sword fights
with our foldable aluminum canes. We would fold them at the half way
joint so that they weren't unwieldy, then use them as pretend swords.
We'd clash them together, growl at each other, etc. We were clingon
warriers, see. Or sometimes old fashoned knights. Or sometimes, when we
got older, there was no back story. It was just called "a cane fight".
It provided a perfect way to make a whole ton of noise and show off for
the girls sitting at a neighboring table. In reality what we succeeded
in doing was making total asses of ourselves.

Of course these days I have to behave myself. Not because I really want
to, but because youthful exuberance isn't tolerated past a certain age,
unfortunately. That and because I now use a carbon fiber cane, and it
would snap with the first stroke I think. However, if the situation
should arise, I wouldn't hesitate to take up the old aluminum foldable
again to defend my or someone I care about's honor! LOL I'm joking about
that last part. Or am I?
- --
Stress (N): The condition that occurs when ones mind overrides the
body's natural desire to reach out and slap the hell out of someone
who desperately deserves it.
Joseph C. Lininger, <jbahm at pcdesk.net>