[nabs-l] Awkward Situations: What would you do?

Domonique Lawless dlawless86 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 22:41:12 UTC 2009

Jedi,
	That’s really unfortunate, not to mention embarrassing for both you
and the woman.  I find that as I grow older my tolerance for this type
of ignorance diminishes. I still try to stay patient though. If
something like that happens again maybe you could say “I really like
your perfume but honestly, that’s never been a good way for me to
identify people. Besides, by the time we’re finished working out
neither one of us is going to smell very pretty so it might be better
for you to state your name when you want to come talk to me. At least
until I become familiar with your voice.” I find that trying to defuse
an awkward situation with humor usually helps and doesn’t make the
person feel stupid. I’m sorry that happened to you.

Domonique