[nabs-l] Lame question

Mikaela Stevens mikaelastevens at cableone.net
Wed Apr 7 23:16:27 UTC 2010

Hello,

I know this question might sound silly or ridiculous, but I am serious when I ask it and I would really appreciate some feedback. This question is really for the girls on this list, but I'm not trying to be sexist; it's just a girly thing: a beauty-type question.

I have always struggled with makeup. I wear it because I have bad acne and I have the desire to wear it to make myself appear put-together and professional. I just can't seem to make it look good. My mom always tells me if it looks splotchy or orange (not because she is trying to be mean, rather because she wants me to be aware and look presentable). When my sighted sister or friends do my makeup for me I receive compliments and I feel better about myself because I know I look my best.

My questions are: Do you wear makeup? If so, how do you apply it? When you are finished do you have to ask someone if it looks good? If you do not ask a sighted person, how do you know it looks how it should? Are there some non-visual techniques for making sure you look appropriate?

Thank you in advance for any input on this! Have a great day.

Sincerely,

Mikaela Stevens