[nabs-l] Help-Philosophy Question

Candice Chapman warren.mercy at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 20 03:34:01 UTC 2010

Dear NABS members,

I recentally was in a situation where my NFB philosophy was put to the test. I was travelling with a friend who is totally blind by airplane and we got into a confrontational situation with the flight attendant. She insisted upon taking my friend's straight cane, but didn't have a problem with mine since it was teloscopic. Perhaps she assumed that storing the straight cane would be a hazard. My friend proceeded to have a loud, obnoxious verbal confrontation, that resulted in hold up of traffic and embarrassment on my part. Eventually the conflict, due to time constraint, my friend was finally mollified and allowed to keep her cane. However I can't help but wonder if there was a more diplomatic way to handle the situation. It brings to mind an article by Dr. Kenneth Jernigan, perhaps you guys know it, it's in The Master, The Mission, The Movement. The article is titled, "Don't Throw the Nickel."

How do you think the confrontation could have been handled more delicately? In the above article Dr.Jernigan referenced many situations in which you could choose your battle. Perhaps it's true that you can make a situation worse by escalating a said situation with a sighted person, rather than taking the high road. What are your thoughts on the art of negotiationg NFB philosophy? What might you suggest as potential alternatives to the above confrontation? I would like to hear all of your thoughts on the importance of our philosophy in the lives of blind people.

Best,
Candice Chapman

P.S. The Article is attached for your convience.