[nabs-l] Bulletin board software

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 22:42:28 UTC 2010

1. It is a hosted solution, but at the moment it looks like the host
is gonna be Dreamhost, so there's a lot of leeway for what I want to
do with it.

2. I'm looking ultimately for a discussion forum and possibly a wiki
open to certain contributors to collect the best collective wisdom of
the forums into a more easily searched manner.  Integration here
isn't critical, but I wouldn't mind if it were present certainly.

3. It's Dreamhost, which appears to be a Debian Linux LAMP setup.
It'll do one-click installations of phpBB and MediaWiki, but these of
course would require some effort to combine into a coherent site, and
I don't know how well phpBB handles screen readers once sighted
people start prettying it up with graphics and the like.  I know
MediaWiki pretty much just works without a whole lot of effort.

But I won't necessarily have to use Dreamhost, either.  I'm looking
at Dreamhost because I'm familiar with it.  If there's better
software out there for what I want to do and I'd need another hosting
provider to make it work, I'd go with another hosting provider.

This project is results-driven more than it is resource-constrained
at this point.  That's why I was looking for good examples of what
has been done that works.  I can choose from among those, research
how it was done, and emulate as necessary.

Joseph