[nabs-l] Help-Philosophy Question

Serena serenacucco at verizon.net
Thu Apr 22 17:51:50 UTC 2010

First, as to the taking people's arms cuz of balance issues and you're
worrying that they'll think it's cuz of your blindness, I have a similar
issue.  I have a good friend who's deaf-blind.  Since he can't speak to
verbally direct me, I hold on to his elbow.  (He uses his limited vision
quite well, so he can guide me safely.)  I'm sure some people think it's cuz
I'm blind, but we know it's not.  I always use my cane extra carefully and
am as independent as possible E.G. holding on to the railing when going up
and down stairs, instead of his simply guiding me.  If I just let him guide
me on the stairs, instead of holding the railing, he doesn't let me get away
with it! **smile**  (He puts my hand on the railing to remind me to hold it
and not simply let him guide me.)

As far as your mobility issues in general, have you ever considered a
crutch?  I don't know a good technique to use it with your white cane, but
I'm sure there is one.

Serena