[nabs-l] Support Canes (was Help! Philosophy Question)

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 19:53:46 UTC 2010

Hi Jinni and all,

I decided it was time for a topic name change. *grin*

I have been trying to get my O&M instructor to measure me for a
folding support cane. Thus far, she has told me that I have to talk to
my VR counselor about a support cane. But when I talked to him, he
said it was the O&M instructor's job to measure for a support cane, as
he doesn't know what length is appropriate. After measuring for it, he
could order it for me, or my ILC could, but the O&M instructor has to
measure for it first. Any suggestions on how to get the O&M instructor
to get with the program? Right now, I'm using a wooden support cane,
and the problem with it is that I have to either use it all the time
or not take it with me, because it does not fold up and is rather
heavy. So, of ten I don't bring it with me. I would really like a
folding support cane, but am not sure what length would be best.

~Jewel