[nabs-l] Single Room: Opinions

Serena serenacucco at verizon.net
Sat Apr 24 17:15:17 UTC 2010

I wouldn't recommend a single room for a different reason than Beth.  I
wouldn't get a single room your first year cuz that will make the Residence
Life staff think you need it just cuz you're blind.  Yes, I know the reason
your other blind friends were recommending you get it is cuz of your books
and equipment, but the Residence Life staff will think it's cuz of a million
stupid blindness myths!  There's a saying in the NFB, "If you give an inch,
they'll (sighted people) take a mile."  This means, if you tell them that
some things about blindness are difficult for you, such as mobility, they'll
think everything else is impossible for all blind people!  During my
freshman year, I had 2 roommates that didn't last/work out for different
reasons.: 1. My first roommate wanted to live w/ her best friends from the
beginning.  She didn't care about my blindness one way or another.  She
eventually got her wish.  2. My second roommate was overprotective of me cuz
of blindness, but also had issues of her own.  I decided not to be her
roommate my sophomore year.  Then, when 2 other blind people (not on this
list) got accepted at my college, they were given single rooms.  Although
the Residence Life staff claimed they gave the blind students single rooms
cuz of all their equipment, I believe they gave the blind students single
rooms because they believed sighted students wouldn't want to room w/ the
new blind students.

Serena