[nabs-l] Living by NFB's Philosophy questions

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 25 02:10:30 UTC 2010

Hi Gerardo,
How you get around is a personal preference.
As Joe said, be motivated for independence  to pursue for yourself, not due
to an organizational philosophy.
Nfb philosophy says blindness is an inconvenience and one such inconvenience
is transportation to work around.
I see you are working on that.  Hiring a driver is a good solution if you
have the means.
Blindness shouldn't stop you from living a full life.  But keep in mind
sighted people also cancel appointments due to inclement weather such as
hard rain.
So I wouldn't put yourself down for not living by the philosophy because you
backed out of an appointment.
You had a reason for cancelling.
For instance my mother hates driving in storms too and sounds like your
parents do as well.  Its slippery and they can't see as well  and there's
increased likelyhood of a reck.  If my mom can't reschedule she'll  go
earlier and drive cautiously otherwise she postpones anything she can until
the storm and rain ends.

Transportation is a struggle for all of us.  Even with good transit like in
the DC area, buses don't run all the time and more limited service on
weekends.  Public transit may not go everywhere you need to go either.
Many areas are lacking in good transit.  Do you live in or near a city?
Typically cities have a public transportation system.  Many areas have a
door to door service for people with disabilities called paratransit.  Where
I live this is called Metro Access.
Are there other options in your area?
Is there a church you belong to that you could recruit volunteers from?  How
about asking the lions club or  civic group such as the Rottery club?
If you are going to an event maybe you could ask someone else going to the
event to give you a ride?   If you ask for rides regularly, offer something
in exchange; its just polite, something like paying for a meal, gas, or some
helpful favor.

I hope you were able to reschedule or go to a similar appointment so you got
whatever you needed accomplished.

Ashley