[nabs-l] accessibility questions

Katie Wang bunnykatie6 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 22:23:39 UTC 2010

Hi, Maryann,
I don't know about accounting charts, but it is true that screen
readers won't read graphs and math symbols. It typically works best
for me to obtain higher-level math materials in braille, but if this
is not feasible a reader can describe the graphs and read the math
equations to me, which i can write down in braille. If you are talking
about entire textbooks, it may be helpful to see whether the book is
available from RFB&D. They typically do a pretty good job with reading
the math equations and describing figures.
As for participating in discussion threads, it depends on  the web
application your instructor use. If it takes place on an accessible
forum, you can read it with JAWS as you would any other website.
Hope that helps!
   Katie