[nabs-l] Blind Driver Challenge of the National Federation of the Blind Featured at NIWeek 2010

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Tue Aug 3 01:39:05 UTC 2010

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE<?xml:namespace prefix = o
ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

Blind Driver Challenge of the National Federation of the Blind
Featured at NIWeek 2010

Austin, Texas (August 2, 2010): The Blind Driver
Challenge of the National Federation of the Blind
(NFB) is one of the new technological innovations
that will be featured at this year’s NIWeek, held
August 3–5.  Hosted by National Instruments (NI),
NIWeek is the world’s leading graphical system
design conference and exhibition, showcasing the
latest developments in graphical system design,
virtual instrumentation, and commercial
technologies.  Dr. Dennis Hong of Virginia
Polytechnic Institute and <?xml:namespace prefix
= st1 ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
/>State University (Virginia Tech), College of
Engineering will deliver a keynote presentation
describing the work of the Virginia Tech/TORC
team to create a nonvisual interface that will
allow a blind person to drive an automobile independently.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: “Building a
nonvisual interface that will allow a blind
person to operate an automobile independently and
safely will expand the educational and employment
opportunities of blind people.  We believe the
technology that must be developed to make driving
possible will offer opportunities for blind
people to learn nonvisually in other areas; and
in the process, we will learn more about how
blind people perceive, gather, and manipulate
information.  We believe that when this
technology is fully developed, sighted people
will also be able to operate their vehicles more
safely and easily.  NIWeek provides us with an
opportunity to highlight our Blind Driver
Challenge and to encourage the developers of
innovative technology to partner with us and make
a car drivable by the blind a reality.”

Dr. Dennis Hong, director of the Robotics and
Mechanisms Laboratory at Virginia Tech, said:
“NIWeek is an excellent opportunity to showcase
our work with the Blind Driver Challenge of the
National Federation of the Blind, and to
encourage other universities to accept the
challenge.  As a professor, I have found that the
Blind Driver Challenge is also a very important
educational opportunity.  Last year we had twelve
very talented undergraduate students working on
our first prototype vehicle.  Throughout the
project we teach all the fundamental theories of
science, mathematics, and engineering, but this
challenge was a fantastic chance for the students
to apply all the things they learned to a
real-life project.  I often ask my students, ‘How
many opportunities in your lifetime do you have a
chance to change the world?’  This is really a
project that most people thought was impossible,
but we are making the impossible possible.”

Ray Almgren, vice president of marketing for core
platforms at National Instruments, said:
“National Instruments is committed to providing
tools that inspire engineers and scientists to
improve the world.  Empowering students with the
technology and training to solve the grand
challenges facing society is at the core of this
commitment.  We are thrilled that the Virginia
Tech/TORC team is using National Instruments
technology, including NI LabVIEW software and
CompactRIO hardware, to create an interface for a
blind-drivable vehicle that will literally change
everyday life for the millions of blind and
visually impaired Americans who cannot currently get behind the wheel.”

The National Federation of the Blind Jernigan
Institute­the only research and training facility
on blindness operated by the blind­has challenged
universities, technology developers, and other
interested innovators to establish NFB Blind
Driver Challenge (BDC) teams, in collaboration
with the NFB, to build interface technologies
that will empower blind people to drive a car
independently.  The purpose of the NFB Blind
Driver Challenge is to stimulate the development
of nonvisual interface technology.  The Virginia
Tech/TORC team, under the direction of Dr. Dennis
Hong, Director of the Robotics and Mechanisms
Laboratory at Virginia Tech., is the only team
that has accepted the challenge.  The team is
currently working with the National Federation of
the Blind on the second-generation prototype
vehicle to integrate new and improved versions of
the first-generation nonvisual interface technologies into a Ford Escape.

The NIWeek conference will be held August 3­–5,
at the Austin Convention Center in Austin, Texas.

For more information about the National
Federation of the Blind, please visit
www.nfb.org.  For our digital news release about
the Blind Driver Challenge and the planned debut
of the BDC car at the Rolex 24, including audio
and video clips for television and radio, please
visit www.DigitalNewsRelease.com/?q=NFB_CarKit.

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National
Federation of the Blind is the largest and most
influential membership organization of blind
people in the United States.  The NFB improves
blind people’s lives through advocacy, education,
research, technology, and programs encouraging
independence and self-confidence.  It is the
leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004
the NFB opened the National Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and
training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.

CompactRIO, LabVIEW, National Instruments, NI and
NIWeek are trademarks of National Instruments.
Other product and company names listed are
trademarks or trade names of their respective companies.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security,
version of virus signature database 5335 (20100802) __________