[nabs-l] Cars for the Blind

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 21:25:44 UTC 2010

Absolutely- but, 50 years ago, the technology for computers and the
internet was still conceivable, although not available.  To me, the
hardest part would be getting a system which could show us everything
a sighted person could see on the road, and give us enough time to
react acordingly.  (we're talking split-second things here, stuff
sighted peoples' brains see and process practicly instantaneously)  I
think, if such an interface is possible, it's a long, long way off.
  That being said, I'm all for what's happening with the blind driver
challenge and the race for independence.  That could be what we need
to make those technologies possible, and who knows what else could
come from it.  I just don't see me driving in ten, twenty, even fifty
years.  Maybe never.  But I hope to be proven wrong.  By all means, as
long as the money and resources are available for this kind of
research, and it seems to me they very much are, why the heck not?