[nabs-l] Cars for the Blind

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 03:37:30 UTC 2010

Man...no.  What if I wanna drag race, or do doughnuts in the middle of
the road, or something like that?  I'm not sure an autonomous computer
would let me be a risky driver like that.  But- in all seriousness,
I'm not sure there's any substitute for the human brain.  I really
wouldn't trust any computer, no matter how advanced, to drive me any
place.  Because, all the computing power in the world can't make up
for human intuition and reasoning.  I suppose avoiding obstacles and
the like would be possible with a computer driving you, but I think
there are situations on a road that require more complex problem
solving ability than that.  And- pardon my silliness, but where's the
fun in letting a computer drive you any place?  To me that almost
defeats the purpose of driving.  Just sayin.  :)
 Hope everyone's doing well,
Kirt

On 8/5/10, Mark J. Cadigan <kramc11 at gmail.com> wrote:
> In my opinion, a car that drives itself would be the best option. Eliminate
> human error from the equation. I don't just mean for blind drivers, but for
> everyone. Have your own personal Cray supercomputer under the hood along
> with the engine. Lol. But in all seriousness the computing power required to
> have a truly autonomous vehicle would be staggering.

>>> now. By then, it must have felt pretty much as impossible as driving a