[nabs-l] questions about reading braille, labeling, and canes

Katie Wang bunnykatie6 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 03:42:28 UTC 2010

Hi, Kerri,
  Regarding your first question, I'm pretty sure nLS does not have a
central site for ordering books on-line, but as others suggested
definitely check with your state library to see if such a system is
available. An alternative would be to browse the books on Web Braille,
locate the ones you like, and call in to request the specific titles.
You are right that it is difficult to browse by category on Web
Braille, but you can search for specific authors, and I have always
found the bi-monthly Braille Book Review very helpful. I'm also a very
fast braille reader, but I read almost exclusively on my braille
note-taker (I have a Braille Note MPower with 32 cells), and  am glad
to do without the bulky hard-copy braille. I don't know what type of
note-taker you have, but if you ever invest in a new one in the
future, you may want to consider the ease of reading on the braille
display (how cumbersome it is to move the cursor around, the number of
cells on the braille display, etc.), as more and more of the braille
media will be in electronic form (for example, Bookshare has  an
amazingly large collection of books) and it would be best if you find
reading on your note-taker a pleasant rather than cumbersome
experience.
  I can't help you much with the latter two questions, as I haven't
had much experience labeling canned food and i haven't use any of the
NFB canes before. I use a folding cane from the Ambutech website and
it has worked well for me.
   Katie